Saturday 21 August 2010

Ginger Scallion Sauce


Chang says that Ginger Scallion Sauce is one of the greatest sauces or condiments ever. He says that you can serve it with almost anything and that you need it in your life.

He is so effusive about this sauce that it made me feel guilty that I didn't like it.

I first made this sauce before I bought the cookbook after Ellie made it on Almost Bourdain. It was way too acrid for my tastes. I like spring onions, but this was just too much. I have to say I was disappointed. I wanted this sauce to change my life. And I wanted the sauce so I could use up the spring onions I always seem to be wasting.

Then Steph made the sauce on Momofuku for 2. Steph had issues with the taste of the sauce too. She did say that when she had tried the sauce previously it tasted distinctly different, so maybe there is something off about the recipe. As I first made the sauce before I bought the cookbook, I didn't know that Chang has said that you can add hoisin sauce if you like - maybe that would make a difference.

I haven't tried the hoisin sauce addition yet, because Steph came to my rescue like a food blogging superhero with her own Green Onion Oil/Ginger Scallion Sauce. In this recipe the spring onions are cooked and the flavours meld together really well, instead of just being a giant mouthfull of onion. I loved this sauce. This sauce could be one that could possibly change my life. Well, maybe not my life, but definitely my noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment