Monday 18 July 2011

Spiralise this!

IMG_4905
I have been wanting a spiraliser since seeing the brilliant Robyn review them on her blog, Girl on Raw.  I love pasta but I’ve really been trying to cut back on the volume of pasta I eat and I thought that having a spiraliser meant I could combine my pasta with vegies and make a more balanced meal.  It makes sense, right?
Anyway, D listened to me whine and beg for a little while before he agreed to let me buy one.  We didn’t have much of a choice, as our local kitchenware store only had the Veggie Twister in stock.  It is a neat and compact little unit, but it is hard to clean.  I now have a Chef Avenue Three-in-One Turning Slicer too, and I find the Chef Avenue better for making noodles but the Veggie Twister better for actual spiralising.
IMG_4904
I broke it in by spiralising some fresh zucchini.  So many blogs have been singing the praises of using spiralised zucchini in raw pasta dishes because the texture is very similar to pasta.  I loved it, it was so fresh and crisp.  I was surprised, as I didn’t think much of zucchini before this.
IMG_4898
I topped my pile of zucchini noodles with Robyn’s Spicy Marinara sauce.  It’s really simple, just some cherry tomatoes, capsicum, basil (I used Gourmet Garden basil in a tube), sundried tomatoes, garlic, dates, oil, salt and pepper, chilli flakes and a dash of apple cider vinegar in a food processor.  Once everything is combined but still chunky, strain it through a mesh strainer.
IMG_4901
I loved the marinara sauce too, although my tomatoes were quite sweet so in hindsight I would have left the dates out. 
The whole dish was fresh and vibrant and full of goodness.  I am really loving incorporating more raw food into my diet and recipes like this make it so easy.  It’s tasty and delicious and good for you too!
(Note: the online store links above are just to indicate the products I purchased.  I bought both of my spiralisers from Robyn’s Kitchen and have not used either of the sites linked above)

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Glad you tried it out. Now you have to try the recipe I posted on my blog today with spiralised zucchini and cucumber - care of Gena from choosing raw. If you like asian style noodles you will love!

    ReplyDelete