Wednesday 27 April 2011

Ginger Fried (Cauliflower) Rice



As part of our healthy eating lifestyle change, D and I are trying hard to cut down on our processed carbohydrates and increase our vegetable intake. I've been reading about cauliflower rice and I have been eager to try it myself.  I love rice (white, wild and brown, I'm not fussy) and I would love to find a healthy alternative for some meals.  D was on board, so we bought some cauliflower and decided to give it a go to make Ginger Fried Rice from Smitten Kitchen, which we love.

I used the Tony Ferguson recipe for cauliflower rice, which is simply cauliflower processed in the food processor until it resembles rice and then sauted in garlic, ginger and leeks until browned.  I found that this took quite a long time and everytime I've made cauliflower rice since then I've roasted them in the oven.  Much easier.

Well, I can't say that cauliflower rice was the perfect substitute for rice - something was off about the texture - but once you looked past that it was a lovely and light dinner.  A great way to eat vegetables!

Ginger Fried Cauliflower Rice
adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Tony Ferguson

500g cauliflower
1 tbs olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 cup thinly sliced leeks, rinsed and dried
2 eggs, cooked to your preference
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs soy sauce (I felt that the cauliflower needed more seasoning that the rice did)

Process the cauliflower in a food processor until crumbly or resembling rice in size.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the cauliflower and leeks.  Cook until the cauliflower is browned and the leeks are soft (next time I will roast the cauliflower rice in the oven before starting cooking, in which case I would cook the leeks ginger and garlic together and then add the toasted cauliflower rice).

Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.  Stir in sesame oil and soy sauce.  Served topped with egg and fried onions, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment