Sunday 24 February 2008

Baked Risotto


I have no idea what I was reading that made me want to make risotto, but I had written on my shopping list:
  • risotto rice
  • shallots
  • chicken stock
so apparently it was really convincing. I am still in quite a bit of pain from my back injury, so I wasn't really wanting to stand and stir, so I tried for a baked risotto. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked, so I made it up as I went along. This is quite unusual for me, so I'm so glad it turned out!

I wanted to use sage and I thought about proscuitto, but our flatmate doesn't like ham or pork-related products, so instead I went with chorizo. In a frypan with some butter I fried the sage leaves until crisp and then removed them. Then, I added the shallots and chorizo and cooked until the shallots were tender and the chorizo was cooked through. I also added a splash of white wine.

Meanwhile I put 1 1/2 cups of carnaroli rice into a baking dish with just under 4 cups of chicken stock and baked in a 180 degree celcius oven until the chicken stock is fully absorbed. It took just under an hour.

After everything was cooked I put the rice into the frying pan with the chorizo and shallots and added the rest of the chicken stock so everything could be fused together. Once the final lot of chicken stock absorbed, the heat was turned off and I stirred through some butter, parmesan and the sage leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment