Tuesday 30 September 2008

Stir-fried beef with Sichuan pepper and salt and lemon


This is another Kylie Kwong recipe that caught my eye. I think the simplicity of it struck me and her description made my mouth water. It also gave me an excuse to use my packet of Sichuan peppercorns which have been sitting in the pantry unopened since we moved.

We loved all the flavours except for the Sichuan pepper and salt. I think that was my fault, because as I was measuring things out, I ran out of sea salt. I'd already combined what salt there was with the Sichuan peppercorns, so I couldn't adjust my volume of peppercorns. I used fleur de sel for the required tablespoon instead (*gasp*), but I think that it changed the flavour.

Sichuan Pepper and Salt

from "Simple Chinese Cooking" by Kylie Kwong.

1 tbs Sichuan peppercorns
3 tbs sea salt.

Dry roast the peppercorns and salt in a heavy-based pan until the peppercorns begin to pop. Take off the heat and allow to cool. Grind to a powder in a spice grinder.

Stir-Fried Beef with Sichuan Pepper and Salt and Lemon

Adapted from "Simple Chinese Cooking" by Kylie Kwong.

500g stirfry beef
cooking spray
1 tbs shao hsing wine
1 tbs white sugar
1 tbs light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs Sichuan Pepper and Salt
2 lemons, cut into wedges

Marinade

2 tbs shao hsing wine
2 tbs kecap manis
2 tbs white sugar
2 tbs roughly diced ginger
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tbs light soy sauce
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Combine beef with marinade ingredients in a large bowl, cover, and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.

Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and stir-fry the beef in two batches for 1 minute. Once both batches are done, put all the beef into the pan with the wine, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir fry for another minute or until the beef is tender.

Serve with a small bowl of Sichuan pepper and salt and lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment