Wednesday 1 October 2008

More Bento



As much as I enjoyed my simple bento the other day, I'm sure I'd get sick of the chicken/rice/potato salad combo pretty soon. I also didn't want to have too much of the starches - there was quite a bit of rice in my first bento. So, I went back to Just Bento looking for something else to fill my bento. The photos above are my experiments.

The top is a 1 egg tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette), which I attempted to fold in the traditional way (I failed). It tasted great, I love the flavour the soy gave to the egg. Mine was really soft though and I didn't know how it would hold up until lunch, so DD and I ate it straight away.

The second is an easy sugarfree carrot kinpira, which was a winner all around. It was easy to cook (once I learned how to julienne with my mandolin) and tasted great. It held up really well in the bento and was just a yummy at lunchtime on Monday as it was on Sunday night while I prepared it. Maki says that this will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, so I made a big batch so it can be a bento staple this week.

The carrot kinpira also deserves a HUGE mention because DD really liked it. DD isn't a big vegetable eater, so I was really excited to find a way to prepare vegetables in a way that he likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment