Sunday 30 August 2009

Honey Cake in the Slowcooker


I have to say that I never thought of doing any kind of baking in my slowcooker, but this honey cake recipe Steph posted on A Year of Slow Cooking intrigued me. I love honey cake.

Steph said that it is quite important to keep an eye on the cake as it bakes in the crock, as hers went from rising nicely to burning around the edges quite quickly. My issue was a little different. I am terrible at imperial-metric conversions, and somehow it never really hit home that the 4 quart slow cooker Steph was using was a little bit smaller than the 5L one I was using. The centre of my cake just didn't cook. I couldn't get the heat evenly through the batter, so the outsides were burning while the inside was still runny.

I ended up taking out the cooked/burned bits and making a mess of the whole thing. While I was trying to get the heat even, I overcooked the outsides making them a little dry. I loved the flavour though - I tasted some as I was trying to salvage it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try this again. I loved the taste of the batter and may try cooking it in the oven, but I don't know if I'll go the slow-cooker route again.

See this post on A Year of Slow Cooking for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment