Sunday 2 August 2009

Marshmallows


I'm catching up on some posts that should have been posted long ago. As I said in my last post, not too long ago I came down with a sinus and throat infection which was in late May. At the time of writing (in July) I've managed to come down with another sinus infection and I'm sick at home.

D has left me each morning with the admonishment that I'm not to do too much baking. The first few days I was too light-headed and dizzy to do too much in the kitchen but I'm feeling a little better today (Thursday) and I'm hoping to go back to work tomorrow. I think one of the signs that I'm feeling better is that today I did some baking.

I have been reading through Stephanie O'Dea's wonderful blog A Year of Slow Cooking. She has a wonderful tradition of Friday Fondue Fun Days. I was reading through her wonderful recount of dipping a variety of things in chocolate and I had a real hankering to do the same. One of things she was dipping were marshmallows.


Unfortunately, I didn't have any marshmallows in the house. I am not that much a fan of them to be honest, I find them tooth-achingly sweet and its just too sweet for me. My childhood sweet tooth just isn't what it used to be. Then I remembered reading a post on Smitten Kitchen where Deb made her own marshmallows with a recipe that she was very happy with. I've never worked much with gelatine and it was the lack of gelatine that stopped me making them earlier, but on a quick trip to the supermarket for the necessities (bread, tissues and nurofen) I stopped by the baking aisle for gelatine.


Today I was ready for a challenge. It was surprising easy. It was a little sticky, but I knew from Deb's post not to expect to get all the batter out and to dissolve everything in hot water to clean it. They looked awesome when it was all whipped up, they looked cool when they went into the fridge, they were a little fiddly when I pulled them out, cut them up and rolled them in icing sugar but they were amazing once they were done. I didn't find them nearly as sweet as the commercial marshmallows, but they still had that awesome fluffy texture. They were very nice in my fondue (post to come).

See this post on Smitten Kitchen for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment