Thursday 17 September 2009

Donna Hay Chocolate Cupcake Kit


We came across the Donna Hay range of packet mix cakes, cookies and brownies at our local Zone Fresh recently. I'd read about them in Donna's magazine and of course knew how they were made of all natural ingredients and it was just as if someone had measured out your dry ingredients and put them in a bag for you so all you had to do was add the wet ingredients to have cakes/cookies/brownies turn out just as good as if you'd done all the measuring yourself.


At $12 per box, you would hope that Donna would be onto something special and I did have a medium high hopes that the finished product would be of a decent quality so I decided to give it a try.


Very easy. Packet for cake, packet for icing and cute Donna Hay cupcake cases. I can't for the life of me remember what needed to be added, but I think it was eggs. Maybe some vegetable oil.

My mix ended up make ten cupcakes. Some cupcakes were harmed before this photo was taken.


These cupcakes, warm from the oven, are divine. Yum yum yum.

I had some trouble with the icing and I'm not sure if it was because I didn't add enough liquid to it. It just was not spreadable at all. It didn't get a creamy consistency and even though it tasted nice it was a little bit of disappointment after the amazing cupcakes.

All in all, the cupcake kit is very easy and the cupcakes themselves did not have any trace of packet-mix flavour. I was disappointed with the icing and I'm not sure if it was me but $12 is a bit much to spend just to try making the icing again. My cupcake inspiration tends to come at odd times and demand instant satisfaction. It's also pretty rare if I don't have the ingredients on hand to just make a batch (which is still pretty easy) so it's not likely that I'll make these again but the kits are quite impressive for a packet mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment